Saturday, September 4, 2010

What is a gourmand?

My initial thought was "another word for foodie". According to wikipedia, it is. However, what was it doing in my Sephora Fall catalog? Hmmmm.

I've always known about fragrances that utilize aromas we find in food such as citrus or vanilla. One trip to Bath & Body Works is enough of an example. With the evolution of cuisine (New American this, Asian fusion that), other industries ultimately followed suit. Hence the creation of Sniffapalooza: a community for fragrance enthusiasts.

Per founders Karen Dubin and Karen Adams, gourmand notes are characterized as being edible, sweet or dessert-like. Think candy, fruits and basically anything tasty. (I wonder if bacon counts?) Personally, I've never been too keen on moisturizing my legs with something that evokes hunger. Somehow I connect that to an ep of Seinfeld where Kramer sunbathes in cooking oil.

Where was I? Oh yes. This season, vanilla and tonka bean are making quite the comeback, per the ladies. They are being blended with French macaroon, lemon, fig and blood orange. As the holiday season approaches, richer notes are added to the mix. This includes caramel, buttercream, milk, almond, amber and of course, chocolate. They provided some delicious examples to prove their point.

Ralph Lauren's new Big Pony Seduction - (Ok, I'm sorry. This sounds kinda dirty.) Dark chocolate and musk mingle for a spicy blend.

Philosophy's Eternal Grace - Floral and citrus notes energize and make for a welcome addition to their ethereal line of fragrances.

Guerlain's Shalimar - Originally created in 1921 as a classic soft amber parfum, this 4.0 update intoxicates the senses with tonka bean, vanilla, iris and rose.


I suppose this is one way to have your cake and eat it too.

No comments: