Wednesday, January 5, 2011

Happy January!

In July of 2009 I was on a road trip up Highway 1 with Mr. brekkie fan. During the drive home, I started making a list on a piece of cardboard with a Sharpie. I kept that list in a place that forced me to look at it every day. Last week I took that list and narrowed the 20 items down to 3. Three "recurring events" that I wanted to focus on doing more often. They are jog, blog, and floss. I suppose you can label them resolutions. If I am able to avoid the sore throat slash asthma attack creeping up on me, I think accomplishing all items twice this week is entirely possible (knock on wood).

This month is all about celebrations and new beginnings. Restaurants are opening. Sales are making room for spring inventory.
My favorite shows on USA Network are starting up again. There's even a birthday to plan. I'm pretty excited. My only dilemma was what to blog about first? The Coffee Bean & Tea Leaf decided for me.

Did you know that January is National Tea Month? While most others opt for coffee, I am in LOVE with this aromatic beverage. When you have Chinese, dim sum or Japanese, what do they always provide on the table? The Ritz-Carlton is known for their uppity afternoon service. Stores like Teavana are demystifying one's understanding of tea the same way Starbucks did for coffee. It can be soothing or energizing. It can be green, black, white or red. When used correctly, tea can even reduce puffiness around your eyes.

Here are a few fun facts to mull over the next time you sit down to a hot cuppa.

  • All tea comes from the same plant, Camellia Sinensis
  • The antioxidants in two cups of black tea are equivalent to one glass of red wine, seven glasses of OJ, and 20 glasses of apple juice
  • Tea can be used to soothe burns and sunburns. Put wet teabags on the affected areas or keep in place with gauze.
  • One teaspoon of loose tea is an easy way to measure out the perfect amount. Hence, the term, teaspoon!



My dear,
if you could give me a cup of tea

to clear my muddle of a head I
should better
understand your affairs.

CHARLES DICKENS



No comments: